Friday, October 18, 2013

A letter to my Sonny.


Dear Scott,

You made it to school today just as your class lined up and started walking through the front door. "Go catch your class!" I told you as you raced out the car and down the sidewalk. I watched you as you ran, your bright red "Cars" back pack bouncing on your shoulders, your left  hand holding tight to your navy blue coat that trailed behind you like a flag, Your right hand clutching the top of your pants long enough in the legs but too wide in the waist. And as you ran at top speed I called out "Have a wonderful day, I LOVE YOU SCOTT!" And the autumn wind carried your sweet little voice through the yellow-orange leaves adorning the trees, and skipped up the sidewalk and jumped into my ears and landed in my heart "I LOVE YOU TOOOOO!" You called back as you joined your class.

I love you too.
I love you too.
I love you too.

Those words have been echoing in my ears all day. In your beautiful five year old voice. A voice that will deepen in the coming years into the voice of a man. And my dearest wish as your mother is that as you run full speed toward your destiny, a kind wind will carry my voice to you, wherever you are, and you will hear it echo in your heart "Have a wonderful life, I love you Scott!" And that you will still be calling back to me as I wave, "I love you too...I love you too."

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment