Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Reflection of Beauty



Last night my husband drew a bath and invited me in. It's our favorite nightly ritual, we scarcely miss an evening. We turn on music, turn off the lights and let the warm water melt us together.

Our oldest asleep in his bed our newborn swinging in his swing just outside the door where we could watch him. Usually he sleeps too, but tonight he fussed and cried wanting a moment in my arms.

So I climbed out of the tub and scooped him up for a snuggle. Standing there in front of the mirror the floor soaking where I stood, I caught a glimpse of my bare body in the mirror. I watched myself for a moment while I rocked and swayed my little one.

I saw my arms holding the most wonderful creature I've ever beheld, how can arms holding such wonder not be wonderful too?

 I saw his perfect little head nestled on my shoulder. How can shoulders supporting such perfection not be perfect too?

I saw breasts that hung much lower than they did when I was twenty four, before I had my first baby. But how could breasts that give life and nourishment to this miracle not be a miracle too?

I saw a belly still swollen slightly, the skin stretched from accommodating this lovely boy inside my body for nine months and I thought how can a belly that carried such a lovely babe, not be lovely too?

And I looked over at my husband gazing at us both and he smiled at me, "You are so beautiful..." He said.

And my heart agreed, Yes, I am beautiful.
For by the beauty alone I have brought into this world,
How could I not be beautiful too?


This stunning photo taken by EllCee Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment