Friday, August 31, 2012

Symbolic Clutter



The more you read this blog the more you will realize my complete and utter gratitude and admiration for the author Karen Kingston. Her book "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" truly changed my perspective about clutter and how to think about it. One perspective she offers is to think of the symbolic nature of clutter. She has some wonderful stories and insights about this in her wonderful book, and it got me thinking about the messages my clutter was sending out into the world.

When I was a young girl I collected frogs. Especially stuffed animal frogs. I loved the phrase "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince". I had a decorative tree in my room and started piling these stuffed frogs on the tree. People caught on to the habit and started adding frogs of their own. Boys I dated, especially wanted a frog on my tree and so many of those frogs were from young men I knew.

About a year before my boyfriend (now husband) graduated from The Naval Academy, I knew he wanted to marry me, and I knew that when he asked my answer would be a resounding yes! Suddenly, my frog tree seemed very out of place in my life. One day, I gathered all the little girls in my neighborhood, who I'd babysat for over the years, and invited them over to my house to pick frogs from off my famous frog tree. These girls were delighted, and squealed with delight as they carted home arm fulls of  toy frogs. It felt wonderful. I kept one frog, the one Josh gave me, just a few months later he proposed. Today that little frog belongs to our son.

What do the items in your house say about you and your life, is it reflective of you are and who you want to be? Is it time to ditch your frogs and make room for your prince?

No comments:

Post a Comment