Thursday, September 6, 2012

When it's not REALLY yours, renting. Part 2 of 3


Not only am I a renter, I am a Navy wife. So we move. A lot. A year after I poured my heart, soul, time, energy and money into that beautiful little Monterey Condo, we left. We handed our keys over to a VERY happy landlord and we said goodbye forever. That was heart breaking.

When we got to Goose Creek, South Carolina things were different then our honeymoon year in Monterey. Again we were renting, an old, stinky, oddly designed, cold, military house on base. I had a brand new baby. And Josh was going to Nuclear Power School. You should feel happy to know that the United States military has the most difficult Nuclear power program to get through, in the WORLD. To say my husband was stressed this year is kind of an understatement, but he got through it. I think some of that stress translated into my design work though....

This was our master bedroom.


It looked like that the entire year we lived there. I didn't even buy a bedspread. This was the quilt from my bedroom while I lived at home before I got married. I kept the house very clean, and I did my best to make it pretty. Okay, not my BEST. Sometimes I just settled for "functional". These were the only curtains we had in the house.


This too, was in the master bedroom. Here's me being real, sometimes the best you can muster are towels to block the light in your bedroom because your husband has to sleep all day so he can work all night. Sometimes, it is simply enough to keep your house clean and functional. To make dinner every night and be there with open arms when your husband is going through something tough. We quickly realized that unless we wanted to acquire some serious debt, we needed to stop the frivolous budget free ways of spending we lived in Monterey. So we really hunkered down this year and saved. I didn't spend any money on decorating. I bought a few things we needed, used, and my amazing mother in law bought us a king sized bed, but other than that this was a simple year for us. And it was okay that way. I did things like, cover our bedroom door with paper flowers and hung scrapbook pages on the wall to brighten my craft room!




If you really want to create, nothing can stop you but yourself. This is where I came up with the Dream Design Notebook idea and started working on it! Ultimately, I learned a few things from these wonderful homes and life experiences. 

Which you can read about in part three of this series tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment