Monday, September 17, 2012

How do you fly?



Tonight as I was tucking my four year old son into bed, we had a very sweet conversation.

"Mom, thank you for my superman costume, it makes me so happy."

"You're welcome, Scotty."

"Mom, I thought it would make me fly. But I can't fly. And I don't have any super powers."

"Oh, sweetie" I said, giving him a big hug, "Every super hero has very different super powers, you may not fly like superman, but you have a superpower of friendship and kindness, you make friends so easily! And you have a superpower of happiness, just by smiling and being you, you make others around you happy! And you have a superpower of brilliance, you are very smart and love to learn, that's what makes you Super Scott!"

"Mom, tell me a story about Super Scott."

So I told him a story about making a new friend with someone who was shy. This precious conversation touched me on so many levels, and really made me contemplate my own perspective in life. How innocently my son believed that putting on a costume would turn him into the hero he most admires, but he is already a hero in my eyes and in the eyes of everyone who loves him. As his mother, it is my heart's dearest hope, to be the mirror that can show him to see that greatness in himself.

What costumes am I wearing hoping they will give me super powers? That my house is always clean? That I know just what to do all the time? That I always have it together? That I am always a perfect, engaged mom teaching my 4 year old everything he needs to know to get into college? That my heart doesn't sometimes break? That everything is fine? That I don't need help? I am just as human as you, and in that fallible, imperfect, humanity there is my truest superpower-compassion, sympathy and love.

Because I know how it feels to wish I could fly into the sky of perfection, and then realize I can't fly. I don't have any superpowers...But I am me. I am alive. And I am walking through this life choosing to love, create, and build a family that with God's blessing, will go on and on for generations. That, is superpower enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Heidi. Thanks for sharing that. I definitely felt a lump in my throat while reading it. :) You're awesome, and such a wonderful mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SUCH a cute picture of Scott, by the way!

    ReplyDelete